19 February 2009

Pregnancy

I'm having a hard time writing these days. As I've mentioned, I'm pregnant. Hugely so. The baby will be born next Tuesday (March 3), so I'll definitely be on hiatus after that. Though I fully intend to blog about the hospital experience, as I fully expect it to be utterly shittastic - I'm such an optimist.

So just a few notes on being pregnant in Canada.

1. Privacy. Is there some reason why once a woman is pregnant she seems to lose her right to privacy? Or at least her expectation of it? I mean, I know that's what the abortion debate is about to a large extent, but what about the nosy questions, the lack of personal space, etc. I swear to all the various pagan gods that this drives me INSANE. "How much weight have you gained so far?" is about the rudest thing I've heard this time. Other than of course, "You're sure it's not octuplets? Heh heh heh." Yeah. Very clever. I'm huge. Thank you for pointing that out.

2. I am pregnant, not disabled. I can walk up and down stairs. I can lift my toddler. I can cook for my family, and I sure as hell can play my flute at church. One woman moved a couch herself instead of asking me to help. She's 83. I'm 34. And I was only about 5 months along at the time. I mean, I know times have changed, but I'm actually quite sure I do less hard work than the old women who are giving me shit for walking up the stairs, did when they were pregnant. After all, Mr.FCS is a liberated husband who does housework. And he's a civil servant. He doesn't work long hours. Goodness, you'd think I was a fragile little flower. I'm a fair sized woman (not huge, not tiny). I'm not going to break.

3. This isn't just pregnancy related, but also mothering related. So help me God, you do not have the right to question my parenting choices. If I want to nurse my toddler and my newborn at the same time, I am damned well going to do it. Yes, I know you weaned yours at exactly 1 year. I don't care. The WHO says "at least two years". Mine isn't quite three, and he only nurses about 3 or 4 times per week. So lay off.

That's it for now. I'm sure there'll be more.