08 April 2009

So Mark Peters says that Lunney is next in the witch hunt (and OMG, but if that isn't the most ironic choice of a phrase EVER). He challenges: Would that a few more Christians, Jews and Muslims from all parties would step forward and confirm their faith publicly.

Okay, well, I'm not exactly a public figure, but if any of the schmucks in office are anything like me, and I happen to know that many of them are (there are a number of UCC clergy in politics), then they believe in God, the Creator, AND evolution. The vast majority of Christians don't believe in the young earth crap. The vast majority of us are smart enough not to take every word of the bible literally when, HELLO, there are two separate creation stories, and they contradict each other. Duh.

Let me make this as clear as I can: I am Christian. I believe in God, the Creator, the Great Spirit, whatever you want to call him/her/it/them. I have no problem whatsoever reconciling that with evolution. For all I know, it's a grand plan. Just as I personally can and do grow and change, so does the species, so does the earth, so does the universe.

Why is this so difficult for them to understand? Oh, right. Because they're idiots.

p.s. Can anyone tell me how the literalists handle the outright contradictory creation stories? I'm honestly curious.

1 comment:

Rob F said...

An early explanation is that the two stories refer to two seperate creations. Some apologists still argue this. One unfortunate aspect of this is the fact that some really bad people use this interpretation to justify racism, etc. But what I most strongly suspect is the likeliest explanation in this case is simply that literalists and fundamentalists take it on faith that they believe everything in and follow the Bible literally.