06 February 2009

Censorship and God

So Halifax is banning the atheist ads that are getting so much attention in England. ACK! Censorship screams the right wing... What? No screaming? Oh, right...

Humanist Canada wanted to place ads on Metro Transit buses with the slogan, "You can be good without God." But officials with the transit authority deemed that too controversial.

Yeah, um, that's not controversial really. And that's not even censorship for censorship's sake. That's censorship for cowardice's sake. These schmucks just don't want to deal with the political shitstorm. Hah. Like that's going to work.

So now they're going after Calgary with their "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life" campaign. Now of course, I disagree. But I'm not about to tell them not to advertise it. I don't care. What I love though, is the UCC's response: "There probably is a God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life". AWESOME. Seriously, the whole Emerging Spirit campaign is awesome.

Here's the thing about belief or faith in the existence of God (believing in God is different). It's like an intuition, a sense. I really don't think you can mock someone for believing there's a God if you've ever trusted your intuition on something. Like, you know how you just know that the guy down the street is a creepy ass that you never want to be caught alone with? Intuition, right? It's sorta the same with faith. I simply know that we're not alone, that this isn't all there is, that we're not some weird fluke of nature. I know it. I know it as much as I know that my next door neighbour is a decent human being. I have no proof, but I'll happily bet the farm on it until proven otherwise.

And really, what does it matter? I use God and the teachings of Jesus to help me be the person I want to be. A good atheist uses the moral code of society. Though I have to say, I fail to grok their motivation. I'm motivated by the need to do right by my creator (and NOT a fear of God/Hell). What are they motivated by? I dunno. Because it feels good to do good? To me, that's just God, telling me I'm on the right path.

I'm rambling. I'll shut up now. :)