18 April 2011

Thimerosal study coordinator indicted for fraud

Thimerosal is safe in vaccines, right? Right? I mean, the CDC says so. UH OH! An excerpt:
Poul Thorsen, the principal coordinator of multiple studies funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) used to deny a vaccine/autism link was indicted on April 13th on 13 counts of fraud and 9 counts of money-laundering. The charges relate to funding for work he conducted for the CDC, which claimed to disprove associations between the mercury-based vaccine preservative, thimerosal, and increased rates of autism.
So why isn't this getting even a 10th of the play that Wakefield and his sketchiness got? Oh, right. This could cost the pharmaceutical industry a shitload of money. This could challenge the medical establishment.

Could we please just have an independent study or two?

In Canada, thimerosal is still used in HepB shots for babies. It's also in flu shots. I am utterly livid. When I had my Crackle immunized at 2 months, they gave him the HepB shot. I specifically asked if there was thimerosal in it, as it was an issue, even then. No, they told me, it's not. And now, looking up my facts for this post, I find out that it is. The nurse flat out lied to me. I am sickened. Edit: there are two series of hepB shots in BC. The infant series does not use thimerosal. The Gr6 booster does.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think vaccines cause autism in otherwise healthy kids. But I do think they contribute to underlying genetic dispositions to it. For example, if a kid has a genetic disposition to autism, he or she is going to have some symptoms of autism. A screwy immune system is a very very common symptom. So, add in a vaccine into a child with a wonky immune system and expect it to work properly, and you are going to be in for a surprise. That quirky kid may now be spinning, head-banging, and forgetting how to talk.

Aluminum also needs an independent study. People with autism are often unable to process metal in the same way as healthy people. Their bodies simply don't detoxify properly, meaning that that "harmless" little bit of mercury or aluminum can do significant harm to a person with autism. Especially one with an immature immune system.

My kingdom for an independent study.