19 March 2013

My Hockey Hero

The Steubenville case has reminded me of something that happened to me when I was 18. My friend and I were at a party. We didn't know anyone there, but we were having a grand old time. It wasn't an ordinary party, really. There was a hockey tournament in town, and a bunch of hockey players from all over Canada were in town. A few of them were staying at one house near my friend's place, and as we were walking, they invited us to come into the yard and have a beer. We were young and stupid. And they were hot. So what the hell. And we had a great time. I had a beer I was guarding (I wasn't totally stupid). My friend was getting plastered. And we were having fun. They were flirting and chatting, and generally being awesome. I was flirting hardcore with one very very attractive guy and as the night went on, so was he with me. About 10pm the ambience changed, and I was uncomfortable, and the guy told the others to leave us. YAY! I was game. As soon as they left, he said to me, "You need to get your friend out of here. NOW."** I was stunned. I had noticed the change in the feel, so I said, "Oh my God. Thank you." I left the room, and he shouted obscenities at me to cover what he'd just done. I grabbed my friend and we got the hell out of there. She didn't want to go, but I wasn't having any of it.

That guy was a fucking hero. I don't care that he didn't tell the others it wasn't cool. Who knows, maybe he'd tried that before. But he got me and my friend out of there. He was awesome.

He was drafted that year and played in the NHL until about 3 years ago. I always cheered for any team he played on. And no, I'm not telling you who it was. Feel free to guess though. :)

**My memory is fuzzy. I may have suggested we leave and he said, "That is a VERY good idea". Regardless, he's still my hockey hero.