18 May 2010

Girls' clothes vs Boys' clothes

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/05/18/bc-williams-lake-high-school-homophobia.html#socialcomments

Okay, so here's the story. A bunch of kids got a Gay Straight Alliance to come to the school to talk about acceptance of differences, and they decided to have a gender bender in which they'd dress up as members of the opposite sex.

Here's what I find interesting. In the comments section, people keep saying that girls wear male clothes to school all the time. All these years later, pants are still considered to be men's clothing! I don't wear men's clothing. All of my clothes come from the women's section of the store, but because they're not dresses or skirts, even those supporting the event would say I wear men's clothing. Except of course for my pink clothing. Pink = girly.

The pink in this blog, btw, is a deliberate choice. I know how much many feminists hate pink because of the attitudes that come with it. I won't even engage in that. I like pink. Not that soft baby pink, but bright, in your face pink pleases me.

So, to the kids in Williams Lake, dress up! Or don't. But don't let them push you around for wearing what you want to. The school board was saying that anyone who dressed up would be suspended, but that's ridiculous. And it's a good reminder of why I don't support the burqa ban. When we start telling people what they can't wear, it's a slippery slope into intolerance and hatred. And that is not okay.

1 comment:

Skinny Dipper said...

Pink is cool!

From a fellow pink blogger,
Skinny Dipper