25 January 2014

Vaccines, again.

I am so very tired of the vaccine debate. I'm so sick of the whole subject I've muted all reference to it on Twitter and refuse to engage on FB. So I'm going to get this out once and for all:

I simply do not understand why my fellow lefties, who are so certain that Monsanto, Nestle, Philip Morris,  Chevron, Wal-Mart, etc. are evil motherfuckers who don't give a flying fuck about you, your health, or anything but their bottom line, can just say "Oh sure, vaccines. The companies that fund the studies and make the profit say they're safe, so I'm sure they are". WHAT?! The tobacco science here is plainly obvious to anyone watching carefully. The CDC's vaccine division is completely seeded with pharmaceutical corporation personnel and vice versa. That makes pretty much every CDC study suspect, as if they weren't already with Poulson running off with the money from them (but the studies are totally sound! Yes, because a study in which fraud took place is completely free of suspicion.)  Elias Zerhouni, used to be the director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) He's now head of Sanofi-Aventis' research labs. Pretty much can't trust them either. So what's the argument?

Because science. Science funded by those set to make billions off their sale. That's the best you've got?

I am NOT saying they aren't safe for anyone. I am saying I don't trust them any more than I trust any other massive capitalist agenda.

Ya know what else? It's the advertising. And the fear tactics. And the "There are no studies that say they're not safe" lie. I vaccinated my first kid until she had a major regression from it. That day. I vaccinated my second kid even after that because I believed the doctors when they convinced me I was misremembering (despite my journal *headdesk*) and that the vaccine simply could not have done that, and even if it had, the odds were astronomically against it happening again. It did. Worse. Much worse.

I'm NOT saying vaccines cause autism. I am saying that some people might be genetically susceptible to significant damage from vaccines because of the way the vaccine causes an immune response. Put 20000 randomly sampled people in the sun for 30 minutes. If 5 of them get a sunburn and the others don't, it was still the sun that caused it. Because some people are just genetically predisposed to it. So don't give me this "the science is in" bullshit. It's fucking not. I want more studies. I want studies looking at what happens to kids who have autism in their families when they are vaccinated. I want studies looking at the rate of autism among the unvaccinated. No, not a 'we won't vaccinate these kids, but we will vaccinate these other ones'. I recognise the unethical nature of that. I want one where they take the vaccine exemption forms that are required by US school districts, and go find out what the rate of autism is amongst those kids. I want to know how many people who get the flu shot get the flu that they were vaccinated for. I want to know what the rates of cancer are in people who regularly get flu shots.

AGAIN, not saying there's any connection. Just that I want to know. Because I just plain don't trust companies that make billions of dollars to have my best interest at heart. And I do not trust governments to have our health as their top priority when those billion dollar corporations are the ones giving them jobs when the leave government. And if that makes me a conspiracy theorist, a whackjob, or whatever, so fucking be it. I am quite frankly baffled by other lefties who are happy to trust the tobacco science and worse, scream invectives at those who aren't.

Mmmkay?

update: How's this for a study showing they're not safe for fetuses? Now how's that for irony? (see next post).